MAHDC has compiled a number of useful materials in our library, including:
A Self-Assessment Guide for Local Preservation Commissions: a National Trust for Historic Preservation publication by Katherine Adams that offers guidance for commissions undertaking self-assessment process to measure effectiveness and help plan for the future. Includes a CD. The resource is available upon request to members.
Renovator’s Roundtable: a detailed education program for historic district commissions and owners of historic properties. Session topics include technical information on historic roofs, windows, masonry and wood; routine maintenance; analysis of historic design and setting; and the historic district commission review process. Each of these eight presentations are available in slide format and can be obtained for presentation by local preservation groups. The resource is available upon request to members.
Alliance Review: past issues of the National Alliance of Preservation Commission’s bi-monthly newsletter that provides engaging articles on a variety of topics related to historic preservation commissions. The resource is available upon request to members.
Resources available for download include:
- Working on the Past in Local Historic Districts – Online Training by the National Park Service
- Defensible Decision Making: Preservation Commissions and the Law by the Maryland Historical Trust
- A Letter to George: How to Keep the Preservation Commission Out of Court and to Avoid Being Sued by Robert E. Stipe
- Guide to Drafting a Commission Motion by MAHDC
- From Liability to Viability: a Toolkit to Address Neglected Properties in West Virginia by WVU LAW Land Use and Sustainability Development Law Clinic (relevant for all local governments)
- Why Say No to Vinyl Windows, a publication of the Landmarks Advisory Commission, Abany, Oregon
- Law and the Historic Preservation Commission – What Every Commission Needs to Know by James Reap and Melvin Hill, National Park Service
- What Replacement Windows Can’t Replace: The Real Cost of Replacing Windows by Walter Sedovic and Jill Gotthelf
- Online Design Guidelines courtesy of National Alliance of Preservation Commissions